Item Name is the descriptive name you give a hanging folder or other item you are indexing. “Museum Board Directory” might be the Item Name you give a folder that contains a current phone and address list of museum board members. “Sales Reports” might be the Item Name you choose for a folder containing regional sales reports. A folder or Item Name labeled “Warranties” might include sub-files or manilla folders for “Electronics,” “Major Appliances,” and “Outdoor Equipment.”
Your Item Name might also be the names of Books, CDs, DVDs, Collection Items, etc., within Locations under these. See also the Many Uses of The Paper Tiger.
An item consists of the following attributes:
- Item Name: When entering the Item Name, if there is a duplicate name in the database, a window will show that you have duplicate names already to help you eliminate duplicate entering of items. You can decide to merge this new item into the item already in Paper Tiger or create the new item.
- Keywords: Type all keywords associated with the item or items included in the hanging file folder or container of what you are indexing, such as receipts or contracts or what the book is about, etc. When you need to find the item later, you can search by keyword. The more keywords you enter, the easier it will be to find the item later. When multiple documents are included in the same file folder, simply add necessary keywords relating to all documents in that same file folder.
- Notes (optional): You can add additional comments in the Notes section. For example: what your next action on the item would be to remind you what you need to do next on that project or action, or when you would want to archive or purge the file.
- Category (optional): If the item falls into a category, tab to the Category field and type in or select a category you've already created from the drop-down box. Category is a word or words you may use to classify groups of related folders or items. For example, you may use the Category “Benefits” to classify the Folders, “401K,” “Stock Options,” and “Day Care.” The Category, “Services,” might include Folders for “Accountant,” “Graphic Artist,” and “Organizing Consultant.” The Category "Self-Help" might include all your books that relate to self-help or motivation.
- Action Date (optional): If there is a future date in which you want to review this item, or if this item will require your action, tab to the Action Date field and type the date or click on the calendar to select a date.
When entering the Item Name, if there is a duplicate name in the database, a window will show that you have duplicate names already to help you eliminate duplicate entering of items. You can decide to merge this new item into the item already in Paper Tiger or create the new item