The label/tab printing in Paper Tiger Online is not configurable due to the fixed print of the .PDF from the automatic pull from the app. All printers do not print on the templates in the same place, so we are providing a work-around solution for those printers. In addition, you may want to use other Avery labels than what is provided in the software and what we've provided attached to this knowledge base. The instructions provided below might be slightly different based on your version of Word, but you should be able to use these to print your Paper Tiger database labels on your Avery label of choice.
Below are step by step instructions, but you might also benefit from watching either of the tutorials below:
- How to create Labels using Mail Merge in Microsoft Word 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIg70utT72Q
- Word 2003 Tutorial Merging Labels Microsoft Training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEveYvPR-2w
- Create Labels Using Mail Merge in Word 2007 or Word 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU5sWK7eTRE
Step 1: Download Database Excel Export
First export your Paper Tiger database in an .XLS, and save it to a familiar location
- Click in your Paper Tiger database and then click the Database Preferences tab. (Image 1) Then select EXCEL at the bottom of the Database Preferences dialog box to export your database.
- Open the exported Excel file of your Paper Tiger database.
- Click on the tab of the Location in the Excel worksheet for which you want to print labels. Insert a column with column header Location. Then type in the name of the Location in the first row under that column header, then paste into all other rows in which you have Items. (Image 2)
- If you want to print a label for your open Items, insert row(s) to include the open Item(s) and then type in the Item number in the column entitled Item.
- Save the Excel worksheet.
Step 2: Set Up the Label Main Document
Open Word and set up the label main document. The label main document is the page of labels that you start with. It's the model for the size and shape of all the labels that you eventually print. We have created sample merge documents for you to choose from that include the following Avery labels (8167, 5160, 5366, 5266, Worksaver 11136 & 11137). See attached and choose either:
- Location and Item Number
- Location, Item Number and Item Name
- Start Word from one of the desired sample merge documents provided in the attached.
- On the Tools menu, select Mail Merge Manager or Mailings depending on your version of Word.
- In the Mail Merge Manager or Mailings section, select Get List or Recipients (again depending on your version of Word). Then select Open Data Source or Use Existing List. Browse to find your Paper Tiger database Excel export. Select the Location you want to print labels from the list that pops up in the Select Table dialog box.
- Then select Merge to New Document in the Complete Merge section. (or Finish & Merge section, select Edit Individual Documents...)
To see more information regarding how to set up the label main document, see Create and print mailing labels for an address list in Excel. Or for earlier versions of Microsoft Word, see Print mailing labels in Word. Of course, you would need to substitute the information to relate to the fields in the Paper Tiger exported Excel.
Step 3: Print The Labels
- This will print the labels from the worksheet you selected in the Select Table dialog box list in Step 2 above.
- If you want to print labels for other Locations, open your database Excel export, then select the tab of the Location in the Excel worksheet for which you want to print labels. Follow instructions from above Step 1.
- You can save the Word label templates to your desired location on your computer, but you will need to select your Paper Tiger database Excel export when you export the database again for the latest information.
Image showing Database Preferences tab (Image 1)
Image showing inserting column for Location header and copy/pasting Location name for all Items. (Image 2)
Choose from the desired label merge documents provided in the attached.
- Avery 8167 Location - Item Number.doc
- Avery 5160 Location - Item Number.doc
- Avery 5160 Location-Item Number-Name.doc
- Avery 5266-5066 Location-Item Number.doc
- Avery 5266-5066 Location-Item Number-Name.doc
- Avery 5366 Location-Item Number.doc
- Avery 5366 Location-Item Number-Name.doc
- Avery 11136 Location-Item Number.doc
- Avery 11136 Location-Item Number-Name.doc
- Avery 11137 Location-Item Number.doc
- Avery 11137 Location-Item Number-Name.doc